Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Procedure Stuff

I think the Senate bill is a good step in policy terms and the best that can be got now. I'd vote for it easily. However, I think the deem and pass strategy is dumb. Apparently it has been used before and these procedural discussions are always the same....the majority party says it is within the rules and the minority says it is unprecedented. The same discussion has been had before with parties flipped and will be had again. Yawn.

I prefer the bill passed via 'deem and pass' to the bill failing, but I don't get it. If you are a vulnerable Dem and you vote for the deem and pass rule you are going to get hit with you voted for reform and the procedural jujitsu. The politics of the 'deem and pass' are terrible.....it seems obvious to me that they are worse than simply voting for the bill and then voting for the reconciliation clean up of the Nebraska Medicaid thing, etc. Count me as not getting it.

Update: more.

No comments:

Post a Comment