Tuesday, July 28, 2009

H1N1 and China

There is an interesting/scary story in the New York Times http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/28/health/28flu.html?_r=1&hpw about a kid on a study trip to China ending up with H1N1 flu and being quarantined. The description of what happened at the airport was not my experience last friday. Our plane was late and it was about midnight, so that may explain it but a felow came on, took one person's temperature and then let everyone in my part of the plane get off. I walked through the temperature reader but everyone looked vaguely asleep. Again, maybe due to the hour. Basically, quarantine like this won't really work for H1N1 as it did with SARS because the incubation of the flu is too short....whereas with SARS it was 7-10 days, so you could stop the spread by quarantining contacts. I hope the link I put in works...logging into my blog as I am having to do takes a lot of the functionality out of blogspot.

No comments:

Post a Comment