Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Laugh or cry?

Not sure which this story makes me want to do....so Investors Business Daily Opined negatively about health reform, and was talking about slippery slopes toward euthanizing everyones grandma at dawn, and then bizarrely used as an example the brilliant scientist Stephen Hawking (who has a neuro-degenerative disorder) saying he would be cast aside and let die in an NHS-like health system because he is disabled. Except that he is English and lives in Cambridge, England and has for his entire life, so he actually has the NHS, the real one. Memo to self IBD: hire research assistant. Hawking's quote in today's Guardian:

"I wouldn't be here today if it were not for the NHS," he told us. "I have received a large amount of high-quality treatment without which I would not have survived."

I will write later about my family's experience using the NHS when we lived there, especially navigating sick care there with a small baby versus here at Duke.

No comments:

Post a Comment